Monday, October 24, 2016

work is a four letterword

Work has been less than stellar of late. First my wonderful, skilled, incredible LPN up and quit. No notice. Just handed in her keys and badge to security on a Sunday. (later I would find out that a family emergency and some failed communication was in play). It should be easy to find a LPN who wants to work Monday-Friday, no weekends, no holidays, no evenings or nights. It isn't when you pay less than the average for your community. Finally I get a resume and someone interested in interviewing. He was great in the interview. I felt so lucky that the only one who was interested was such a good fit. WRONG!! He showed no initiative (certainly not self-directed at all), was slow to catch on. I didn't have a lot of time to train him but I did what I could and he assured me all was well and he was figuring things out. As a matter of fact, he said so on a Tuesday afternoon. The next morning we had new students and all of the testing, labs and paperwork that it involves. At 10:05am he told me he "just couldn't do it today". I said OK and the other staff and I stepped up. At 10:20, Tawanna (front desk clerk/dental assistant/ jane of all trades) said to me "I think he left". And he had. I understand from staff downstairs that he literally ran out of the building. So we are back to looking for a LPN and handling everything ourselves. No one to interview yet. The original LPN would like to return but upper management says no. I understand. She did leave without notice after all. But I really need someone and clinically she is amazing.
 So...today the dentist calls me tell me that he can not continue to work with the dental assistant. He feels she is actually a danger to the clinic. I got a little lost in what he was saying but the long and the short of it is that I am again faced with a dilemma. I don't have time to sit and observe them as they work to see who is right (she also claims he has some unusual practices). Interestingly enough, she has had complaints all along and I have encouraged her to talk with him. He has never said a word until now and he has never talked with her about his concerns. Why can't people communicate?  I don't want to have to worry about this shit right now!  I just can't lose another staff member or a provider. All in all, the job that I love has become so stressful over the past few months that I absolutely hate going in every day. Usually things look better when I work with the kids. Some are a pain but most are pretty good young people just trying to better their lives. But lately, it's hard to reach down and find the joy.
My trip to Hawaii is in 2 weeks and I am going whether or not we have a LPN (supposed to be getting a temp RN), whether or not the dental situation is settled. I am going to Hawaii where I will relax, rest and have fun with my dear friend, Debbie. Then I'll come home and figure out how to deal with everything - or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment