Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Time for sentimentality

18 months ago Jennifer and Justin became engaged. I had just been diagnosed with a recurrence of my cancer. When they set the wedding for 18 months down the road, I worried that I may not be able to attend. But Jennifer was optimistic. And she was right. My cancer is still just sitting there quietly and the wedding is this Sunday. I will be partying with the best of them.
Now for the sentimentality part. At times like these Bob's absence is always staring me in the face. He would be so proud of the woman Jennifer has become and I know that he would love Justin. We will celebrate and the wedding will be wonderful, but just as it was when Elizabeth got married, he will be on my mind.
Also on my mind right now is my brother. He was so happy when Jennifer went to his home to tell Carol and him that she was engaged. He told her that he planned to dance at her wedding. She hoped that he would be able to walk her down the aisle. That was not to be. He will be sorely missed on Sunday.
The wedding will be wonderful and missing those who are gone will fade into the background where it belongs. Jennifer's brother will walk her down the aisle and it will be a wonderful walk. (if you're thinking that I only have daughters you are right. Jennifer has a very good friend who has been her "brother" since they met in 7th grade)
I continue to be grateful for every day, month, year that I get. I will always have this horrible disease but plan to live many years with it as my companion.
So, I cry at the drop of the hat right now. Not all of the tears are from sadness. My Jennifer is so happy. Justin is a good, caring man and he loves her so much.  Elizabeth and Bethany are happy and doing well. What more can a mother ask for?
Now...the only thing I am a bit worried about is the fact that I have not danced in a long dress in a long time...

No comments:

Post a Comment