Tuesday, June 25, 2013

The journey begins

Back in April, several people suggested that I start a blog to chronicle my journey through hell. I resisted because, quite frankly I don't write all that well plus I didn't think anyone would be interested. Turns out that it may be good for my mental health, so here I go.
April 4, 2013 I was experiencing severe LLQ pain and took myself to the ER. Actually, I got partway to the ER and needed to call Elizabeth to come get me and drive me the rest of the way. I stopped at her place of employment but she was already at the ER so had to come back for me. (I had told the girls not to even come. I was expecting something simple like an ovarian cyst).
The ER doctor was a lovely woman. I really felt sorry for her. She sent me for a scan and was expecting something like diverticulitis. Instead, she had to tell me that I had a mass on my ovary. I've been told  that I became a little hysterical and kept saying that my girls could not lose another parent. Apparently I'm a wuss when it comes to bad news.
I don't remember too much of the next couple of days. I know that I was admitted because I was in so much pain. I vaguely remember seeing the surgeon the next day for an exam. I remember telling the doctor she could talk to whomever was there after surgery. Of course, I thought this would include my girls, my siblings and my friend, Mary Ellen. I've been told that it included a number of people - some of whom I haven't met. Oh well...
Back to Thursday night...Jennifer spent the night in my room. I apparently moved to another room Friday. I don't remember the move but remember being somewhere new. I have been told that I was calling everyone in my contact list. I don't remember this and wish the girls had been successful in taking my phone. One call was right though. I called my friend, Mary Ellen. I told her not to come down but she didn't listen. THANK YOU FOR NOT LISTENING. She came on Friday and stayed with Jennifer in my room Friday night. Saturday was surgery day. I don't remember this day. I do remember that Mary Ellen sent Jennifer home and stayed with me again. And I remember that the surgeon said I was lucky. Usually ovarian cancer has metastasized by the time symptoms occur. Since I had pain from a twisted, necrotic ovary, the mass was only on the ovary (ovaries?) and part of the tube. So...the word was that they were able to remove all of  the cancer. Surrounding tissue and fluids were all negative. (YAY)
My recovery from surgery was slow. I was sick, sick, sick. I remained in the hospital until 4/13. I was only discharged then because I lied and said I had eaten a full breakfast. (1/4 of a bagel counts, doesn't it?) I missed Elizabeth and Bethany's moving day. This made me sad because I love moving. Jennifer took "mom duty" and handled my discharge from the hospital.
I spent the next few days at the ResorT. What a wonderful place to recuperate. John and Carol pampered me, fed me and basically took great care of me!!
The Tuesday after my discharge, I had an appointment with the surgeon. Let me pause here for just a minute to say that my surgeon, Marcia Bowling, is incredible!! She has that ability to be straight forward and empathetic at the same time.
So, back to the appointment. I thought Elizabeth was going to ask to remove a couple of staples herself. She's always been very interested in things like that. The staples were removed and glue applied to the incision. I was told that I was doing fine and sent on my merry way.
Funny story...a few hours after getting home, I needed to use the bathroom. I couldn't get my panties down (a little TMI? but it's a funny story) They had stuck to the glue on my incision. Jennifer carefully (and laughing the entire time) cut the fabric. I spent the next 10 days with fabric stuck to my lower abdomen.
Recovery from surgery was slow but steady.
That's enough for now. I'll be back later to start the journey into chemotherapy.

No comments:

Post a Comment